Canadian Golf Course History

Golf Canada Website Screenshot

This interactive map shows all golf courses ever built in Canada and provides a forum for interaction with photography, video, information on renowned members, club staff, and professionals.

Next
Golf Canada Website Screenshot

Use the timeline view to see the expansion of golf courses across Canada starting in 1873. You can search for and interact with active and closed courses in addition to courses that have moved.

Golf Canada Website Screenshot

Switch from the timeline view to explore the people who helped grow the game across Canada. Search or browse to find architects, professionals, and presidents.

Next
Golf Canada Website Screenshot

Each pin on the map leads to a detailed description of the course. The detail view includes photos, video, important events, and the ability to provide feedback and comments on course details.

Start Exploring

About Royal Montreal Golf Club

Royal Montreal is the oldest golf club in North America, having been founded in 1873. In that year, a small group of eight gentlemen sat in a dockside office and formed the Montreal Golf Club.

Eleven years later, in 1884, permission was granted by Queen Victoria to use the “Royal” prefix.

The first golf course was a 9-hole layout on Fletcher’s Field, part of Mount Royal Park, which was shared by the red coated golfers and other citizens relaxing in what was then the outskirts of Montreal.

In 1896, the Club moved to Dixie, in the parish of Dorval, where it remained until the pressures of urban growth again dictated a decision to move. The clubhouse at Dixie is now the Queen of Angels Academy for Girls.

The last move was to Ile Bizard in 1959, where 45 holes were constructed. The Blue Course continues to be ranked as one of the “100 Greatest Courses in the World”.

Royal Montreal was one of the five founding Clubs of the Royal Canadian Golf Association, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1995. The RCGA (operating as Golf Canada) is the governing body of golf in Canada and organizes the major national championships, including the Canadian Open, the first of which was played at Royal Montreal in 1904. Since then, the Club has played host to the Canadian Open in 1908, 1913, 1926, 1950, 1975, 1980, 1997, 2001 and 2014. Of special note is that the Canadian Open was won in 1954 by Pat Fletcher, who served as the Club’s Head Professional from 1955 to 1975. This was the last Open victory, to date, by a Canadian player.

In September 2007, Royal Montreal wrote another chapter in its history when it hosted The Presidents Cup; an event which enables the World’s best non-European players to compete in international team match play competition against the Top 12 PGA TOUR players in the United States.


Taken from Royal Montreal Golf Club

Explore Royal Montreal Golf Club

“On the 26th July, 1884, Her Majesty, through a despatch from the Earl of Derby, was pleased to bestow upon the Royal Montreal Golf Club the privilege of using the prefix “Royal,” and since then it has continued to enjoy a career of great prosperity.  It is the oldest club in America, and was organised on the 4th of November, 1873, chiefly through the efforts of those accomplished golfers, Mr. John G. Sidey, his brother, the late Mr. David D. Sidey, whose genial and kindly manners will never be forgotten by Montreal golfers, and Mr. Alexander Dennistoun, now of Edinburgh…The Ladies’ Club, formed in 1892, number about ninety members.” Golf.  December 9, 1892.  Page 207


“It was only in the nineties that golf became a game in the States, but as early as 1824 a number of Scotsmen met together in Montreal to play the Royal and Ancient game, and continued enjoying it, in an informal way, till 1873, when they formed themselves into the Montreal Golf Club, afterwards known as the “Royal Montreal Golf Club”.”  Golf Illustrated, February 27, 1903.  By William Shaw.


Organized November, 1873; incorporated May, 1896.  Dixie is on the Grand Trunk R.R. about nine miles out from Montreal, and the club house is then only about 500 yards away.  The present course, whose turf is composed of old pasture land with a gravelly soil, was laid out as recently as the spring of 1897.  With fine judgement the first two holes, “The Orchard” (375 yards) and “Stony” (340 yards), have been made a fair length to enable players to leave the first tee without unnecessary delay.  Then follow “Meadow” (290 yards), “Upper Brook” (170 yards), “Hawthorn” (110 yards), “Elm” (320 yards), “Lower Brook” (260 yards), “Long” (420 yards) and “Home” (195 yards).  The principal bunkers are stone walls, sand bunkers, the brook, and the railway track.  The amateur record for 18 holes is 83, made by T.R. Henderson in October, 1897, in a scratch medal competition.  Amongst the most noted trophies annually competed for is the Dennistown Scratch Medal.  The Sidey Medal, the Burnett Cup and the Drummond Silver Cup.  In 1897 the Scratch Medal with to T.R. Henderson, in 1896 to W.W. Watson, in 1895 to the Hon. G.A. Drummond, and in 1894 to F. Stancliffe.  The present membership numbers 175.

Royal Montreal Ladies’ Golf Club – Incorporated 1892.  The ladies play over the same course as the men, having the use of two rooms in the old club house.  The membership numbers 130 and includes many of the best lady players in the Dominion.

Taken from Golf, Official Bulletin of the United States Golf Association, April, 1898


Among the most notable of the older members may be mentioned the late Mr. Alex. Dennistoun, a most enthusiastic player and lover of all field sports.  He was practically the “father of golf” in Canada, and was a member of several of the leading clubs in Scotland and England.  He was the donor of the “Scratch Medal,” a handsome gold trophy which is still the “blue ribbon” of the club.

Taken from Golf, Official Bulletin of the United States Golf Association, May, 1898.


Stories Royal Montreal Golf Club

Pardon us while we continue to build this site. Visit us often to see the improvements that we have made.

Professionals of Royal Montreal Golf Club

Willie Davis, Head Professional (1881 – 1882)
Willie Davis, Head Professional (1889 – 1892)
Bennet Lang, Head Professional (1893 – 1893)
Tom Smith, Head Professional (1894 – 1901)
James Black, Head Professional (1902 – 1904)
Albert Murray, Assistant Professional (1905 – 1905)
Charles Murray, Head Professional (1905 – 1938)
James Newman, Assistant Professional (1907 – 1910)
Frank Grant, Assistant Professional (1912 – 1912)
T. Blair, Assistant Professional (1912 – 1912)
Arthur Desjardins, Assistant Professional (1913 – 1913)
Aime Desjardins, Assistant Professional (1918 – 1919)
Harry Hotchkiss, Assistant Professional (1919 – 1921)
Jack Young, Assistant Professional (1919 – 1929)
John Brown, Assistant Professional (1921 – 1922)
Nelson Young, Assistant Professional (1923 – 1933)
F. Cunningham, Assistant Professional (1926 – 1926)
Ken Murray, Assistant Professional (1926 – 1929)
B. Martin, Assistant Professional (1928 – 1928)
John Clarke, Assistant Professional (1928 – 1928)
L. Harman, Assistant Professional (1929 – 1929)

 


“Davis was born in Scotland, learnt his golf at Carnoustie, going to Montreal, Canada, about 1885, being employed by the Royal Montreal Golf Club in the summer and in a bank during the winter.  It 1891 he came to the United States and laid out the first course of the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club.” Golf Illustrated.  January 31, 1902.


“I have pleasure in giving a portrait of another of Tom Morris’s clubmakers, who is going abroad.  James Black sailed last month to take up the duties of greenkeeper and professional to the Royal Montreal Golf Club, a prosperous old club, with a large membership.  Black is a pupil of Old Tom’s, and has worked with him for about seven years, so that he knows all about the art of club-making.  He is also a good exponent of the game, and, as a member of the St. Andrews Club, he won the annual handicap tournament last season.”  Golf Illustrated. May 23, 1902.